Blog page 106




                                               

Wingohocking Creek

Wingohocking Creek was once a major tributary of another Philadelphia, Pennsylvania stream, Frankford Creek, which flows into the Delaware River. Frankford Creek was formed by the confluence of Wingohocking Creek and Tacony Creek. Since Wingohock ...

                                               

Bootsville, Alabama

Bootsville is a ghost town in the Sand Valley area of central DeKalb County, Alabama, United States. It was located roughly five miles west-southwest of Fort Payne. This would place it near the present-day intersection of County Road 458 and Coun ...

                                               

Houston, Alabama

Houston is an unincorporated community in Winston County, Alabama, United States. It was the county seat from 1858 until 1884, when the seat was moved to Double Springs. Houston has one site on the National Register of Historic Places, the log Ho ...

                                               

Pikeville, Marion County, Alabama

Pikeville is a ghost town in Marion County in the U.S. state of Alabama. Pikeville served as the first permanent county seat of Marion County from 1820–1882. It was incorporated as a town on January 12, 1827. The county courthouse was destroyed b ...

                                               

Pollard, Alabama

Pollard is a town in Escambia County, Alabama, United States. It was the first established county seat of Escambia County, from its creation in 1868 until 1883, when it lost that distinction to Brewton. At the 2010 census the population was 137.

                                               

Rawlingsville, Alabama

Rawlingsville, also known as Crystal Lake or Hollemans Station, was the first county seat of DeKalb County, Alabama, United States. It served as such from 1835 for a short time until the county seat was moved to Bootsville. Rawlingsville was loca ...

                                               

Seale, Alabama

Seale is an unincorporated community in Russell County, Alabama, United States. It was the county seat from 1868 until 1935, and is currently home to Russell County High School and middle school. The former Russell County courthouse, built in 186 ...

                                               

Cerbat, Arizona

Cerbat is a ghost town just west of the Cerbat Mountains in Mohave County, Arizona. Mining in the area began in the late 1860s and a camp was established soon after. Cerbat was built in a canyon 38 miles from Hardyville, Arizona. The town was pro ...

                                               

Liverpool Landing, Arizona

Liverpool Landing was a woodyard landing for fueling the steamboats of George Alonzo Johnsons Colorado Steam Navigation Company of steamboats of the Colorado River. It was located 242 miles upriver from Yuma, Arizona, and 22 miles upriver from Au ...

                                               

Havilah, California

Havilah is an unincorporated community in Kern County, California. It is located in the mountains between Walker Basin and the Kern River Valley, 5 miles south-southwest of Bodfish at an elevation of 3.136 feet.

                                               

Millerton, Madera County, California

Millerton was the original county seat of Fresno County, that was formed in 1856 when the county was larger than today. The county comprised its current area and all of what became Madera County and parts of what are today San Benito, Tulare, Kin ...

                                               

Mokelumne Hill, California

Mokelumne Hill is a census-designated place in Calaveras County, California, United States. The population was 646 at the 2010 census, down from 774 at the 2000 census. It is commonly referred to as "Moke Hill" by locals. The town takes its name ...

                                               

Monroeville, California

Monroeville, named for its founder U. P. Monroe, was the county seat of Colusa County from 1851 to 1853. It was located 15 miles north of Butte City, near the mouth of Stony Creek in northeastern Glenn County, at an elevation of 128 feet. The peo ...

                                               

Orleans, California

Orleans, is an unincorporated community in Humboldt County, California. It is located 12 miles northeast of Weitchpec along State Route 96, at an elevation of 404 feet. The ZIP Code is 95556. It is within the area code 530. It is within the abori ...

                                               

Silver Mountain, California

Silver Mountain is a former settlement in Alpine County, California. It was located on Silver Creek 5 miles north-northeast of Ebbetts Pass, at an elevation of 6411 feet. Silver Mountain was founded in 1858 by Norwegian miners who named the place ...

                                               

Snelling, California

Snelling is a census-designated place in Merced County, California. It is located on the north bank of the Merced River 15 miles north of Merced, at an elevation of 256 feet. The population was 231 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Yolo, California

Yolo is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Yolo County, California. It is located 4.9 miles northwest of the county seat, Woodland. Yolos ZIP Code is 95697 and its area code 530. It lies at an elevation of 82 feet. The pop ...

                                               

Abe Springs, Florida

Abe Springs is an unincorporated community in Calhoun County, Florida, United States. It is located along County Road 275 south of State Road 20 and northwest of State Road 71.

                                               

Bayport, Florida

Bayport is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Hernando County, Florida, United States. The population was 43 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Houston, Florida

Houston is an unincorporated community in Suwannee County, Florida, United States. Houston is located on U.S. Route 90, 6 miles east of Live Oak and 18 miles west of Lake City. Houston is the location of Camp Weed & the Cerveny Conference Center ...

                                               

Juno Beach, Florida

Juno Beach is a town in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The population was 3.176 at the 2010 census. As of 2018, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 3.648. Juno Beach is home to the headquarters of Florida Power & Ligh ...

                                               

Mannfield, Florida

Mannfield was settled by early pioneer, Austin Mann, an active citrus farmer and cattle rancher. Mann formed a company to dig and operate canals on the east side of the county. He was also active in politics and as the area’s State Senator Mann g ...

                                               

Middleburg, Florida

Middleburg is an unincorporated area and census-designated place within Clay County, Florida, United States, located 26 miles southwest of downtown Jacksonville and 16 miles northwest of Green Cove Springs, the Clay County seat. It is home to Mid ...

                                               

Milligan, Florida

Milligan is an unincorporated community in Okaloosa County, Florida, United States. Milligan is located at the junction of U.S. Route 90, and State Road 4, 4 miles west-southwest of Crestview. From June 3, 1915 when Okaloosa County was formed unt ...

                                               

Newnansville, Florida

The Newnansville Town Site was where the former town of Newnansville, Florida was located. Originally within Alachua County, in 1832 it became part of the newly formed Columbia County, but in 1839 it was restored as the county seat of Alachua. Wh ...

                                               

Newport, Wakulla County, Florida

Newport is a small unincorporated community in Wakulla County, Florida, United States of America, situated where U.S. Highway 98 meets State Road 267.

                                               

Pine Level, DeSoto County, Florida

Pine Level is a ghost town in DeSoto County, Florida, United States. Pine Level was founded in the 1850s and had bars, saloons, courthouse, jail, stores, churches and homes. Gunfights were considered a common sight on the streets here. In 1866, t ...

                                               

Port Leon, Florida

Port Leon, Florida was a river port town located in what is now Wakulla County, Florida, which existed for only about six years in the first half of the 19th century. Port Leon is classified as an "extinct city" by the State Library and Archives ...

                                               

Sanderson, Florida

Sanderson is an unincorporated community in Baker County, Florida, United States. The main road through Sanderson is U.S. Route 90, which is intersected by County Roads 229 and 127. Sanderson is also the headquarters of the Baker County Road Depa ...

                                               

Sumterville, Florida

Sumterville is an unincorporated community in the U.S. state of Florida within Central Sumter County. Like the county in which it resides, Sumterville was named after General Thomas Sumter, a hero of the American Revolutionary War. The community ...

                                               

Vernon, Florida

Vernon is a city in Washington County, Florida, United States. The population was 687 at the 2010 census; according to the U.S. Census Bureaus 2018 estimates, the city had a population of 690. The geographical center of Washington County, Florida ...

                                               

Westville, Florida

Westville is a town in Holmes County, Florida, United States. As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 289, up from 221 at the 2000 census. From 2000 to 2010, the Westville town population growth percentage was 30.8%.

                                               

Wewahitchka, Florida

Wewahitchka is a city in Gulf County, Florida, United States. The population was 1.981 as of the 2010 census. This was up from 1.722 as of the 2000 census. From the creation of Gulf County in 1925 until 1965, it served as the county seat before t ...

                                               

Arlington, Georgia

Arlington was founded in 1873, and was chartered in 1881. Arlington served as county seat from 1923 to 1929. The community was named after the Arlington House, the Virginia home of General Robert E. Lee.

                                               

Auraria, Georgia

Auraria is a ghost town in Lumpkin County, Georgia, United States, southwest of Dahlonega. Its name derives from aurum, the Latin word for gold. In its early days, it was also known variously as Dean, Deans, Nuckollsville, and Scuffle Town.

                                               

Campbellton, Georgia

Campbellton is an unincorporated town in southwestern Fulton County, Georgia. It was the original county seat for Campbell County, Georgia until after it refused to allow the Atlanta & West Point Railroad line though, on account of the anticipate ...

                                               

Cassville, Georgia

Cassville is an unincorporated community in Bartow County in the U.S. state of Georgia. It was originally the county seat before the name was changed from Cass County. The seat was moved to Cartersville after General Sherman destroyed Cassville i ...

                                               

Ellaville, Georgia

Ellaville is a city in Schley County, Georgia, United States. The population was 1.812 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Schley County. Ellaville is part of the Americus Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Hardwick, Bryan County, Georgia

Hardwick or Hardwicke is a place in Bryan County, Georgia. The town was laid out in 1754. Harwick was the county seat of Bryan County from 1793 through 1797.

                                               

Hartford, Georgia

Hartford is an unincorporated community in Pulaski County, Georgia, United States. It lies a short distance east of the city of Hawkinsville, the county seat of Pulaski County. Hartford sits at the intersection of Alternate U.S. Route 129 with St ...

                                               

Hillsboro, Georgia

By the early years of the 20th century, Hillsboro was described as "a thriving and prosperous community" with a number of stores, churches, and shops. There was also a bank and a two-story school house. By the later years of the century, in the w ...

                                               

Hoboken, Georgia

Hoboken, is a city in Brantley County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Brunswick, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 528.

                                               

Irwinville, Georgia

Irwinville is an unincorporated community in Irwin County, Georgia, United States. Irwinville was founded as "Irwinsville" in 1831 as the seat for the newly formed Irwin County. The community was named for Georgia governor Jared Irwin. It was ren ...

                                               

Jacksonville, Georgia

Jacksonville was the original county seat of Telfair County. Land lot 340 in land district 8 was declared to be the permanent county seat in 1814. On November 25, 1815, the Georgia General Assembly declared that the new county seat be named Jacks ...

                                               

Livingston, Georgia

A post office called Livingston was established in 1834, and remained in operation until 1901. The community most likely was named after Leonidas F. Livingston, a U.S. Representative from Georgia.

                                               

Lumpkin, Georgia

This area of Georgia was inhabited by succeeding cultures of indigenous Native Americans for thousands of years before European contact. Historical tribes included the Cherokee, Choctaw and Creek, who encountered European Americans as their settl ...

                                               

Morgan, Georgia

Morgan is a city in Calhoun County, Georgia, United States. The population was 1.861 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Calhoun County.

                                               

Morganton, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Morganton in 1856. The towns name is a transfer from Morganton, North Carolina. Morganton served as the seat of Fannin County from 1854 until 1895, when the seat was transferred to Blue Ridge.

                                               

Philomath, Georgia

Philomath is an unincorporated community located in the southeastern corner of Oglethorpe County, Georgia, United States at an elevation of 646 feet.

                                               

Riceboro, Georgia

Riceboro is a city in Liberty County, Georgia, United States. The population was 809 at the 2010 census. It is a part of the Hinesville-Fort Stewart metropolitan statistical area.