Blog page 166




                                               

Burn Brae Plantation-Krueger House

The Burn Brae Plantation-Krueger House is a historic house in Stuart, Martin County, Florida. It is located at 1170 South East Ocean Boulevard. On February 14, 2002, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

                                               

Cedar Crest (Faunsdale, Alabama)

Cedar Crest, also known as Cedar Crest Farms, is a Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama. It was built for Kimbrough Cassels Dubose in 1850 by Albert Prince, a slave. Dubose, born in Darlington District, South Carolina wa ...

                                               

Cotton Hill (Limestone County, Alabama)

Cotton Hill is a historic mansion on a former plantation in Limestone County, Alabama, U.S. The house was built in the middle of a 1.000-acre plantation by William Parham for Luke Matthews in the 1830s. It was designed in the Federal architectura ...

                                               

Cuba Plantation

Cuba Plantation is a historic plantation house located in Faunsdale, Alabama. It was built in 1850 by Andrew Pickens Calhoun as an overseers house for this, his second plantation. He added about 420 acres to Cuba Plantation, purchased from Willia ...

                                               

Curry Hill Plantation

The Curry Hill Plantation near Bainbridge, Georgia is a plantation begun in 1842 by Duncan Curry. It was several thousand acres in size, and was a stage coach stop on the stage coach line between Thomasville and Bainbridge. The Curry family lived ...

                                               

Daniel B. Meginniss Plantation

The Daniel B. Meginniss Plantation was a small cotton plantation of 1.610 acres located in Leon County, Florida, United States established by Daniel B. Meginniss.

                                               

Darby Plantation (New Iberia, Louisiana)

The Darby Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic plantation house located about 2.1 miles northwest of New Iberia, Louisiana. The house had two stories, with a central hall plan. The first story was solid brick; the second was brique ...

                                               

Desert Plantation

The plantation was established by Robert Semple circa 1808. By 1814, Semple acquired more acres, totalling 1.000 acres. The Pinckneyville Creek flows through the plantation. The house was built from 1808 to 1812. It was designed in the Federal ar ...

                                               

Dickey-Birdsong Plantation

The Dickey-Birdsong Plantation is a 565-acre historic district that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. It includes four contributing buildings, five contributing structures, and a contributing site. It is a wildlife p ...

                                               

Dixie Plantation

The two-story mansion was built for Hilarie Carlin circa 1835. It was acquired by Richard A. Wilkins in 1846. Wilkinss sister, Sally, married George Pickett in this house in 1851; he later served as a general in the Confederate States Army during ...

                                               

Dulcito Plantation

The Dulcito Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic house located at 5918 West Old Spanish Trail in New Iberia, Louisiana. Built in c.1850, the plantation house is a one-and-a-half story frame structure built mainly in French Creole s ...

                                               

Dry Fork Plantation

Dry Fork Plantation, also known as James Asbury Tait House, is a historic plantation house in Coy, Alabama. The two-story wood-frame house was built between 1832 and 1834 in a vernacular interpretation of Federal style architecture. It was built ...

                                               

Edgewood Plantation (Leon County, Florida)

Edgewood Plantation was a small cotton plantation of 1840 acres located in northern Leon County, Florida, USA owned by Dr. William Bradford.

                                               

El Dorado Plantation

The El Dorado Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic house located in Livonia, Louisiana, USA. It was designed in the Greek Revival architectural style. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since March 24, 1982.

                                               

Elm Ridge Plantation

Elm Ridge Plantation, also known as the Hatch House and Holbrook House, is a historic plantation and plantation house in rural Hale County near Greensboro, Alabama. The one-story raised cottage-style house was built about 1836. It was added to th ...

                                               

Emilie Plantation

The Emilie Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic house located in Garyville, Louisiana, USA. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since January 13, 1989. "Emilie" was constructed in 1882 by Adelard Millet f ...

                                               

Ford–Countess House

The Ford–Countess House is a historic residence near Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama. Hezekiah Ford came to Madison County from Cumberland County, Virginia, in 1813, and began purchasing land on which to build a cotton plantation. He acquir ...

                                               

Francis Eppes Plantation

The Francis Eppes Plantation was a small cotton plantation of 1920 acres situated in east-central Leon County, Florida, United States and established by Francis W. Eppes in 1829.

                                               

Frog Level (Bussey, Arkansas)

Frog Level is a historic house in rural Columbia County, Arkansas. Built in 1852-54 by William Frazier, an Irish immigrant, this two-story wood frame house is one of a handful of surviving antebellum plantation houses in southwestern Arkansas. It ...

                                               

Gatewood House (Eatonton, Georgia)

Gatewood House is a historic plantation house in Eatonton, Georgia that is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It was built sometime during 1805-1812 while the property was owned by a John Keating. As of 1975, the house remai ...

                                               

George W. Scott Plantation

The George W. Scott Plantation was a 1036-acre cotton plantation in central Leon County, Florida, United States established by George Washington Scott in 1852 and located 2 miles south of Tallahassee.

                                               

Glenn–Thompson Plantation

The Glenn–Thompson Plantation is a historic plantation house near Pittsview in Russell County, Alabama. The house was built in 1837, five years after the Treaty of Cusseta which ceded Muscogee lands to the United States. It was built by Massilon ...

                                               

Hawthorne House (Pine Apple, Alabama)

The Hawthorne House, also known as the Col. J. R. Hawthorne House, is a historic plantation house in Pine Apple, Alabama, USA. The two-story wood-frame house was built in 1854 for Joseph Richard Hawthorne by Ezra Plumb. Joseph Hawthorne was born ...

                                               

Holly Grove (Centreville, Mississippi)

The plantation was established in 1812 by Duncan Stewart. The two-story mansion, designed in the Federal architectural style, was built prior to Stewarts death in 1820.

                                               

Hollywood Plantation

The Hollywood Plantation in Thomasville, Georgia was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It is a 38 acres property with four contributing buildings, including its main house which is a Colonial Revival-style mansion built ...

                                               

House Place Plantation

The House Place Plantation was a small cotton plantation of 1.800 acres located in central Leon County, Florida, United States established by R.A. Whitfield.

                                               

Johnsons Woods

Johnsons Woods is a historic plantation house in Tuscumbia, Alabama. The house was built in 1837 on land purchased by George W. Carroll in 1828. A settler from Maryland, Carroll became the countys wealthiest planter by 1850. Between 1855 and 1860 ...

                                               

Jude–Crutcher House

The Jude–Crutcher House is a historic plantation house in Huntsville, Alabama. The house was built circa 1812 on land deeded that year to Samuel Echols. Echols sold 54 acres and the house to George Jude, Sr., in 1817. Jude died two years later, l ...

                                               

Kerby House

The Kerby House, also known as the Randolph Plantation, is a historic Greek Revival plantation house and historic district in Prairieville, Alabama, USA. This area of Hale County was included in Marengo County before the creation of Hale in 1867. ...

                                               

Kirkwood (Eutaw, Alabama)

Kirkwood is a historic plantation house in Eutaw, Alabama. The house was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1934 and by Carol M. Highsmith in 2010. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1976, due ...

                                               

Lakeport Plantation

Lakeport Plantation is a historic antebellum plantation house near Lake Village, Arkansas. It is on the west side of the Mississippi River and across from Greenville, Mississippi. In the early 21st century, five acres of land remain associated wi ...

                                               

Lands End Plantation (Scott, Arkansas)

The Lands End Plantation, also known as James Robert Alexander House, is a historic plantation at 1 Lands End Land in rural southeastern Pulaski County, Arkansas, off Arkansas Highway 161 south of Scott. It is a 5.000-acre working plantation, loc ...

                                               

Lands End Plantation (Stonewall, Louisiana)

The Lands End Plantation in Stonewall, Louisiana, was established in 1835 by Colonel Henry and Ben Marshall, signer of the Louisiana Ordinance of Secession and the constitution of the Confederate States of America. The house, built in 1857, was u ...

                                               

Lane Plantation

The Lane Plantation is a historic plantation located about 3.2 miles northeast of Ethel, Louisiana East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, USA. The plantation was bought around 1830 by William Allen Lane from the Weston family, which had owned it for a ...

                                               

Liberty Hall (Camden, Alabama)

Liberty Hall, also known as John Robert McDowell Place, is a historic plantation house near Camden, Alabama. The two-story Greek Revival style main house was built in 1855 for John Robert McDowell by W.W. Robinson. The two-story front portico fea ...

                                               

Liberty Hill (La Grange, Georgia)

Liberty Hill in La Grange, Georgia, about 0.75 miles west of the Chattahoochee River in Troup County, is a Greek Revival style plantation house built in the 1830s or 1840s. The original cotton plantation owner, John T. Boykin, bought the piece of ...

                                               

Lipona Plantation

Lipona Plantation was a cotton plantation of 900 acres in Jefferson County, Florida, United States established by Prince Achille Murat. The name is a anagram of Napoli, which Murat was the former prince of.

                                               

Logtown Plantation

The Logtown Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic house located in Monroe, Louisiana, USA. The house was designed in the Federal architectural style. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since October 16, 1980.

                                               

Lyndhurst Plantation

The Lyndhurst Plantation is a historic slave plantation in Monticello, Florida. It is located 15 miles northeast of Monticello, off Ashville Road. On April 2, 1973, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

                                               

Marshalls Grove

Marshalls Grove is a historic plantation house near Selma, Dallas County, Alabama. The two-story wood-frame house was built in the Federal-style in 1840. It is five bays wide, with a two-tiered, pedimented portico spanning the central bay. It was ...

                                               

Miccosukee Plantation

Miccosukee Plantation was a medium-sized cotton plantation of 2517 acres located in eastern Leon County, Florida. It was developed by John Miller, from Duplin County, North Carolina, who had migrated south during the period of Indian Removal in t ...

                                               

Millwood (Greensboro, Alabama)

Millwood is a historic plantation house and historic district on the east bank of the Black Warrior River, southwest of Greensboro, Alabama, USA. The house was built in 1830. It also served as a river hotel in the mid to late 19th century. The pr ...

                                               

Mistletoe Plantation

Mistletoe Plantation was a quail hunting plantation located in extreme northwest Leon County, Florida and southeast Grady County, Georgia established by Mrs. Jean Hanna Gallien. Mistletoe Plantation lies mostly in Grady County, Georgia with 2.500 ...

                                               

Montebrier

Montebrier is a historic plantation house in Brierfield, Alabama. The ​ 1 ⁄ 2 -story frame structure was built circa 1853 by S.W. Mahan in a Gothic Revival cottage orne style. The house is notable for its use of lightly arched porch supports and ...

                                               

Moore-Webb-Holmes Plantation

The Moore-Webb-Holmes Plantation is a historic active plantation on Alabama State Route 14 near Marion, Perry County, Alabama. The plantation began with 80 acres in 1819 and gradually expanded to thousands of acres. Although the main house burned ...

                                               

Mossview Plantation

Mossview Plantation was a medium-sized cotton plantation of 2.204 acres located in Leon County, Florida, United States established by Amos Whitehead.

                                               

Northcutt Plantation

The Northcutt Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic house located in McMinnville, Tennessee, USA. The two-story house was built circa 1840. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since May 12, 1975.

                                               

The Oaks (Colbert County, Alabama)

The Oaks is a historic residence near Tuscumbia in Colbert County, Alabama. Ricks came to North Alabama from Halifax, North Carolina in the early 1820s. He acquired a large plantation which he sold in 1826 and purchased nearby land. A log house h ...

                                               

Old Brulay Plantation

The Old Brulay Plantation is a Southern plantation with a historic mansion located in Brownsville, Texas, USA. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since October 10, 1975.

                                               

Orange Vale

Orange Vale, also known as the Lawler-Whiting House, is a Greek Revival plantation house completed in 1854 near Talladega, Alabama. The house is principally associated with Levi Lawler, an Alabama state legislator. The house was the centerpiece o ...