Blog page 209




                                               

Lenan Head Fort

Lenan Head Fort, Lough Swilly, Inishowen, County Donegal was built in 1895, initially with three 9.2 inch Breech Loading guns. Following recommendations of the Owen Committee in 1905, it was refitted in 1911 with two newer Mark X 9.2 inch models. ...

                                               

Letterkenny Retail Parks

Letterkenny Retail Park and Riverside Retail Park are retail parks on the Paddy Harte/Link Road in central Letterkenny, County Donegal. They are the largest retail parks in County Donegal. Phase two of the retail park was developed by Patrick J. ...

                                               

Lismore Cathedral, Ireland

St. Carthage Cathedral, Lismore is a Church of Ireland cathedral in Lismore, County Waterford. It is in the ecclesiastical province of Dublin. Formerly the cathedral of the Diocese of Lismore, it is now one of six cathedrals in the United Diocese ...

                                               

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Mahon Point Shopping Centre is the second largest shopping centre in Munster, located in Mahon, Cork, Ireland. The centre has over 2000 free-of-charge parking spaces, both indoors and outdoors, and was opened in February 2005. The site had previo ...

                                               

The Montenotte Hotel

The Montenotte Hotel is a four star hotel in Cork, Ireland. Built originally as a residence named Lee View House in the 1820s, the house was extended in the 1880s, and became the Lee View Hotel in the 1940s. Operating as The Country Club Hotel fr ...

                                               

National Software Centre

The National Software Centre is based in Mahon, Cork and was built under an Irish Government initiative to establish a centre of excellence for the SMART economy. The project is a privately led venture via a public–private partnership. The NSC Ca ...

                                               

Neds Point Fort

Neds Point Fort is one of several Napoleonic batteries built along the shores of Lough Swilly in county Donegal, to defend the north west of Ireland. It was part of a scheme to fortify Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle against French Invasion during t ...

                                               

Newry Cathedral

Newry Cathedral or the Cathedral of Saint Patrick and Saint Colman is a Roman Catholic cathedral located in Newry, Northern Ireland. It acts as the seat of the Bishop of Dromore, and the head church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dromore.

                                               

Old Connaught House

Old Connaught House is an 18th-century house located in Dublin, Ireland. Though originally built for bishop William Gore, shortly after his death in 1784 it was leased by William Plunket. The house was occupied by the Plunket family for several g ...

                                               

Old St. Marys Church, Clonmel

Old St. Marys Church, also known as St. Marys Church of Ireland Church, is a medieval church in Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland. It is believed to have been built in 1204 by William de Burgh, and was referenced in a letter dated August 1228. T ...

                                               

Portland, County Tipperary

Portland is a townland in the barony of Ormond Lower, County Tipperary in Ireland. It is located north-east of the Portumna bridge, in the civil parish of Lorrha.

                                               

Queen of Peace, Bray

The Queen of Peace is a Catholic church situated at the junction of the Putland Road and the Vevay Road in Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland. The present church was built in 1946 by T & J Macken of St Patricks Street, Dun Laoghaire, with many local peop ...

                                               

Sacred Heart Church, Roscommon

The main church was completed in 1903 and the tower was added in 1916. The church has a flamboyant architectural design. It has rock-faced walls with sandstone dressings and features carved detailing, stained-glass and mosaics by Salviati.

                                               

St Columbas Church, Drumcliff

St Columbas Church is a parish church of the Church of Ireland, located in the village of Drumcliff, County Sligo. It is best known for its association with William Butler Yeats, who was buried in the churchyard in 1948, having previously been bu ...

                                               

St Finians Church, Newcastle

St Finians Church of Ireland is located in the village of Newcastle, County Dublin. The church building dates from around the year 1400. It has a residential tower attached to it in which the priest lived. In the late 15th century the elaborate e ...

                                               

St. Mary del Dam

St. Mary del Dam is a former parish church in Dublin, Ireland that for many years occupied an important position in the city, and after which Dame Street is named.

                                               

St Stephens Church, Dublin

Saint Stephens Church, popularly known as The Pepper Canister, is the formal Church of Ireland chapel-of-ease for the parish of the same name in Dublin, Ireland. The church is situated on Mount Street Upper. It was begun in 1821 by John Bowden an ...

                                               

Saints Peter and Pauls Church, Cork

Peter and Pauls was built to replace Careys Lane Chapel, a much smaller structure built in 1786. Under the guidance of Archdeacon John Murphy, a design competition was run in the 1850s and won by E. W. Pugin, son of Augustus Pugin. The foundation ...

                                               

Sarsfield Barracks

Sarsfield Barracks is an Irish Army Barracks in Limerick city. It houses both Permanent and Reserve Defence Forces of the Irish Defence Forces.

                                               

Scregg House

Scregg House is in the townland of Scregg in County Roscommon, Ireland. It is a Kelly home built in 1767 and occupied by J.E. Kelly in 1837 and Eliza Kelly in the 1850s. In the sale rental of 1856 the house is described as a respectable mansion, ...

                                               

Smith Hill (house)

Smith Hill or Smithhill is an early nineteenth-century house situated about 1.5 km east of Elphin, County Roscommon, in Ardnagowan. It is believed that the poet, playwright and novelist Oliver Goldsmith may have been born in an earlier house on t ...

                                               

St. Aidans Cathedral

St. Aidans Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ferns. It is located in Enniscorthy, County Wexford, in Ireland. The saint to whom the cathedral is dedicated is Maedoc of Ferns, also known as Aedan or Aidan, who died ...

                                               

St Ailbes Church

St Ailbes Church is a Catholic church in Emly County Tipperary, Ireland, dedicated to Ailbe of Emly. Built in the 1880s, it replaced an 1809 church. The sandstone font at the entrance is believed to be medieval, and the nearby graveyard features ...

                                               

St Eunans Cathedral, Raphoe

St Eunans Cathedral in the Church of Ireland. It is located in Raphoe, County Donegal and is dedicated to Saint Eunan who was abbot of Iona. The other diocesan cathedral is St Columbs Cathedral in Derry.

                                               

St James Church, Dublin (Roman Catholic)

not to be confused with St. James Church and Cemetery, Dublin St. James Catholic Church in Dublin, Ireland is a historic church. It and St. James Church and Cemetery, Dublin are both located on St. James Street or James Street.

                                               

St Johns Cathedral (Limerick)

St. Johns Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Limerick, Ireland. Designed by the architect Philip Charles Hardwick, ground was broken in 1857 and the first Mass celebrated on 7 March 1859. It replaced a chapel founded in 1753. The most rec ...

                                               

St. Colmans Church, Gort

John Prendergast Smyth later Viscount Gort gave the site to Dr. Edmund Ffrench, Bishop of Kilmacduagh. It was dedicated on 6 September 1829 by Bishop Ffrench.

                                               

St. Kevins Church, Harrington Street, Dublin

St. Kevins Church opened in Harrington St., Dublin, in 1872 to serve the Roman Catholic parish of St. Kevin, which had been split from St. Catherines in 1855. It was named after the nearby St. Kevins church in Camden Row, which dated back to at l ...

                                               

St. Manchans Oratory

St. Manchans Oratory is located in Ballymorereagh An Baile Riabhach, on the southeast slopes of Lateeve Leataoibh hill, 4.5 km 2.8 mi east-northeast of Dingle.

                                               

St. Marys Park (Limerick)

St. Marys Park is a housing estate in Limerick, Ireland. The estate is located on the northern end of Kings Island in an area known locally as the Island Field. The area is located to the north of the historic and ancient city of Limerick which i ...

                                               

St. Patricks Church, Dundalk

The Church of St. Patrick, also named St. Patricks Pro-Cathedral, is a large Roman Catholic church located in Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland. It is built in the Gothic style, and was designed by the architect Thomas Duff.

                                               

St. Pauls Church, Dublin

St. Pauls is a former church building of the Catholic Church sited on Arran Quay, Dublin, Ireland. The church is used currently by a Catholic youth group and by the St. Gregrorios Jacobite Syrian Christian Church.

                                               

St. Peters Church, Ennisnag, Kilkenny

Saint Peters Church, Ennisnag is a church of the United Dioceses of Cashel and Ossory and the ecclesiastical province of the United Provinces of Dublin and Cashel in the Church of Ireland. The church lies beside the Kings River, one mile north of ...

                                               

St. Peters Church, Laragh, Co.Monaghan.

The Swiss-Gothic design of the church was inspired by travels on the continent in the 1800s by Laragh Tweed Mill operator James McKean and his wife. Local rumour suggests McKean had the mill river realigned to create the spectacular site in Aughn ...

                                               

The Stags Head

The Stags Head is a pub on the corner of Dame Court and Dame Lane in Dublin, Ireland. Records of a pub on the site of the Stags Head date to 1770 original construction by a Mr. Tyson and 1895 extensive rebuilding. The pub is known for the preserv ...

                                               

Tarbert House

The house dates from 1690. This Georgian era house in the Queen Anne style architecture was built by John Leslie. It remains the Leslie family home to this day, and is occasionally open to the public during the summer months. Past visitors to the ...

                                               

Tintern Abbey, County Wexford

Tintern Abbey was a Cistercian abbey located on the Hook peninsula, County Wexford, Ireland. The Abbey – which is today in ruins, some of which have been restored – was founded in c.1200 by William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, as the result of a vo ...

                                               

Tyrone House

Tyrone House in County Galway is a ruined manor house, built in the 1770s on a promontory by the estuary of the Kilcolgan river, about 2 miles from the village of Kilcolgan, County Galway, Ireland. The house was destroyed by the local Irish Repub ...

                                               

Victoria Lock (River Shannon)

Victoria Lock, also known as Meelick Lock, is the first lock on the River Shannon upstream of Lough Derg, it is situated between Meelick, County Galway and Clonahenoge, County Offaly where the Little Brosna River enters the Shannon. It is very ne ...

                                               

Watch Tower (Waterford)

The Watch Tower is a tower on Manor Street in Waterford, Munster, Ireland. It is one of the six surviving towers of the city walls of Waterford. The cylindrical shape of the tower suggests that it was built in the 13th century. The arrow slit ope ...

                                               

Acqua Pia Antica Marcia

The Acqua Pia Antica Marcia or Aqua Pia was an aqueduct in Rome. It was first built as a restoration of the classical Aqua Marcia by Luigi Canina, commissioned by Pope Pius IX. Its city terminus was the "Fountain of the Naiads" in the Piazza Esed ...

                                               

Castello di Polgeto

This castle was erected in 1399 around a prior 12th century fortification, which belonged to Biagio di Buto, an exile from Perugia. A number of inhabitants gravitated to the site and the churches of San Lorenzo and of the Madonna del Sasso were e ...

                                               

Castello Aliforni

Castello Aliforni is a 13th-century castle that now forms part of the walls of San Severino Marche, in the region of Marche, Italy. It is located in the little village of Aliforni.

                                               

Allianz Tower

Allianz Tower is a fifty-floor, 209-metre-tall skyscraper in Milan, Italy. In 2016, Il Dritto was nominated by Emporis as the third-best skyscraper that was completed in 2015. Il Dritto The Straight One in English or Allianz Tower is one of the t ...

                                               

Antenna RAI of Caltanissetta

The radio transmitter system of Caltanissetta or Antenna RAI of Caltanissetta is a plant, now idle, for broadcast on long wave, medium and short; tipe guyed mast. The transmitter is insulated against ground. Its main element is an omnidirectional ...

                                               

Casa Manzoni

Casa Manzoni is a historical palace sited in via Morone 1 near the quadrilateral of fashion in the center of Milan, Italy. Owned by the Manzoni family, the house was the birthplace of the famous Italian writer Alessandro Manzoni in 1785. The buil ...

                                               

Castel Savelli

Castel Savelli was a castle near Albano Laziale, in the Lazio region of central Italy. The Savelli family had owned the estate since the 1160s, and build the castle during the papel reign of Pope Honorius III and Pope Honorius IV. The castle was ...

                                               

Castello di Brolio

The Castello di Brolio is a rural castle, palace and gardens located in the municipality of Gaiole in Chianti, about 20 km NE of Siena, region of Tuscany, Italy. The palace has belonged to the Ricasoli family for nearly 800 years. The castle was ...

                                               

Biblioteca Cathariniana

The Biblioteca Cathariniana or Cateriniana is a public library in Pisa, region of Tuscany, Italy. It is affiliated with the Archbishops Seminary. The library was founded in the 13th-century in the Dominican convent of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria ...

                                               

Chiostro del Bramante

The Chiostro del Bramante is an Italian Renaissance building in Rome, commissioned by Cardinal Oliviero Carafa in around 1500, and designed by the architect Donato Bramante. Today the building serves as a space for exhibitions, meetings and conce ...