Blog page 284




                                               

Hero Inlet

Hero Inlet is a narrow inlet at the south side of Palmer Station between Gamage Point and Bonaparte Point, along the southwest side of Anvers Island in Antarctica. It was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names after the Research Vesse ...

                                               

Hewitt Bay

Hewitt Bay is a rectangular bay 1 nautical mile long between Biscoe Point and Access Point on Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago. Named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names in 2007 after Roger P. Hewitt of the Antarctic Ecosystem Res ...

                                               

Hippolyte Point

Hippolyte Point is a point which marks the northeast end of Lion Island, lying immediately east of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was charted and named by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Gerlache, 1897–99.

                                               

Holt Inlet

Holt Inlet is a western arm of Lapeyrere Bay on Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. The inlet is 2 nautical miles long and 1 nautical mile wide, with the entrance south of The Hump. Named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names in 2007 ...

                                               

Holtedahl Bay

Holtedahl Bay is a bay, 10 nautical miles long in a northwest–southeast direction and averaging 6 nautical miles wide, between Velingrad Peninsula and Stresher Peninsula along the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica. The bay is entered southwes ...

                                               

Holtedahl Peaks

The Holtedahl Peaks are a group of peaks and ridges lying northward of Steinskaret Gap and forming the northern portion of the Kurze Mountains, in Queen Maud Land, Antarctica. The name "Holtedahlfjella" was applied to the entire extent of the Kur ...

                                               

Homeward Point

Homeward Point is a point forming the west side of the entrance to Security Bay, on Doumer Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was first charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, and so named b ...

                                               

Hoseason Island

Hoseason Island is an island 11 kilometres long and 6 kilometres wide, lying 37 kilometres west of Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. This name, which has appeared on charts for over 100 years, commemorates James Hoseason, firs ...

                                               

Howard Island (Antarctica)

Howard Island is an island directly south of Hartshorne Island in eastern Joubin Islands, at the south-western end of the Palmer Archipelago of Antarctica. It was named by the US Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Judson R. Howard, mate in ...

                                               

Humann Point

Humann Point is a point forming the north side of the entrance to Duperre Bay on the west side of Brabant Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was first charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Jean-Baptiste ...

                                               

Humble Island

Humble Island is a small rocky island lying 0.74 km south-east of Norsel Point on Amsler Island, off the south-west coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago of Antarctica. Humble Island was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Su ...

                                               

The Hump (Antarctica)

The Hump is a conspicuous dome-shaped summit on the northern shore of Lapeyrere Bay, northern Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. The name appears on a chart based on a 1927 survey by Discovery Investigations personnel on the RRS Discovery, ...

                                               

Hydrurga Rocks

The Hydrurga Rocks are a group of rocks lying east of Two Hummock Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. They were photographed by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition, 1955–57, and were named by the UK Antarctic ...

                                               

Intercurrence Island

Intercurrence Island is an island 4.5 miles long, the largest of the Christiania Islands, lying 8 miles east-northeast of Liege Island at the northeastern end of the Palmer Archipelago, off the northwestern coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. Thoug ...

                                               

Jabet Peak

Jabet Peak is a peak in the Comer Range, 545 metres high, which marks the southwestern end of the serrate ridge 1 mile northeast of Port Lockroy, Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was probably first sighted in 1898 by the ...

                                               

Jacobs Island

Jacobs Island is a narrow island 560 m long between the Hellerman Rocks and Laggard Island, off the southwest coast of Anvers Island, Antarctica. It was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for U.S. Navy Lieutenant Commander Paul F. ...

                                               

Janssen Peak

Janssen Peak is a conspicuous peak, 1.085 metres high, forming the southwestern end of the Sierra DuFief in the southwestern part of Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 189 ...

                                               

Janus Island

Janus Island is a rocky island 370 m long, lying 1 km south of Litchfield Island, off the southwest coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago. Janus Island is the southernmost of the islands on the west side of the entrance to Arthur Harbo ...

                                               

Jigsaw Islands

The Jigsaw Islands are two small islands lying off the southwest end of Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. One of the islands was used as a main triangulation station by the British Naval Hydrographic Survey Unit in 1956–57, a ...

                                               

Jougla Point

Jougla Point is a point forming the west side of the entrance to Alice Creek in Port Lockroy, lying on the west side of Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered and named by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05 ...

                                               

Jurien Island

Jurien Island is a small island lying north of Cape Leguillou, the northern tip of Tower Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The island was first charted and named by Captain Jules Dumont dUrville on March 4, 1838.

                                               

Cape Kaiser

Cape Kaiser is the north end of Lecointe Island, lying just east of Brabant Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Gerlache, and named by him for a supporter of the expe ...

                                               

Kappa Island

Kappa Island is an island, nearly 0.5 nautical miles long, lying immediately south of Beta Island and close east of the Theta Islands in the Melchior Islands of the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The name, derived from kappa, the tenth letter of ...

                                               

Kaprela Island

Kaprela Island is the mostly ice-covered rocky island 500 m long in southeast-northwest direction and 150 m wide, lying off the northeast coast of Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It is" named after the ocean fishing trawler ...

                                               

Cape Kemp

Cape Kemp is a cape forming the southwest tip of Doumer Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was first charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot. Various islands of the Palmer Archipelago were c ...

                                               

Kendall Rocks

The Kendall Rocks are a group of pillar-shaped rocks, lying 3 nautical miles north of Tower Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The name "Kendall Group" appears northwest of this position on a chart based upon work by a British expediti ...

                                               

Ketripor Hill

Ketripor Hill is the ice-covered hill rising to 800 m in northwestern Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It surmounts Saldobisa Cove to the northwest and Olusha Cove to the southwest, and has steep and partly ice-free north and ...

                                               

Kotev Cove

Kotev Cove is the 1.81 km wide cove indenting for 1.8 km the northeast coast of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It is entered northwest of Butrointsi Point. The cove is named after Vasil Kotev, commander motor boats and ...

                                               

Kranevo Point

Kranevo Point is a rocky point on the northwest coast of Tower Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica forming the south side of the entrance to Mindya Cove. Situated 2.4 km southwest of Cape Leguillou, 3.5 km north of Ustina Point and 5.8 k ...

                                               

Laggard Island

Laggard Island is a rocky island lying 3.7 km southeast of Bonaparte Point, off the southwest coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago. Laggard Island was named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-names Committee following a 1955 survey ...

                                               

Lautaro Island

Lautaro Island is an island 1 nautical mile long, lying just west of Lemaire Island in Gerlache Strait, off the Antarctic Peninsula. It was probably first seen by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Gerlache. The island was named by the Chilea ...

                                               

Lecuyer Point

Lecuyer Point is a point which forms the south side of the entrance to the harbor of Port Lockroy, Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered and named by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste ...

                                               

Lefevre-Utile Point

Lefevre-Utile Point is a point 1 nautical mile west of Curie Point along the north side of Doumer Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered and named by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot.

                                               

Cape Leguillou

Cape Leguillou is a point which forms the northern tip of Tower Island, at the northeast end of the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was charted by a French expedition under Captain Jules Dumont dUrville, 1837–40, and named by him for Elie Le G ...

                                               

Lemaire Island

Lemaire Island is an island 4.5 nautical miles long and 1.5 nautical miles wide, lying 1 nautical mile west of Duthiers Point off the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Adr ...

                                               

Lenie Passage

Lenie Passage is a northwest–southeast passage 1 nautical mile wide between the Gossler Islands and the Joubin Islands in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Pieter J. Lenie, Master of ...

                                               

Lesura Cove

Lesura Cove is the 1.97 km wide cove indenting for 1.2 km the south coast of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It is entered west of Veyka Point. The point is named after the settlement of Lesura in Northwestern Bulgaria.

                                               

Limitrophe Island

Limitrophe Island is an oval-shaped Antarctic island 0.9 kilometres long, lying directly east of Christine Island and 1.9 kilometres south of Anvers Island. Limitrophe Island was given a suggestive name by Palmer Station personnel in 1972, becaus ...

                                               

Lion Island, Palmer Archipelago

Lion Island is an island 1.5 nautical miles long and 1 nautical mile wide, lying off the east side of Anvers Island and 1 nautical mile northeast of Cape Astrup, Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. Discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Exped ...

                                               

Lion Sound

Lion Sound is a small passage between Lion Island and the southeast coast of Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Gerlache. The name appears on a map based on ...

                                               

Lipps Island

Lipps Island is a small rocky island 0.37 kilometres west of Litchfield Island, off the southwest coast of Anvers Island, off the Antarctic Peninsula. Lipps Island was named by the United States Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Dr. Jere ...

                                               

Loaf Rock

Loaf Rock is a rock lying 3 nautical miles west of Biscoe Point, off the southwest coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was surveyed by the British Naval Hydrographic Survey Unit in 1956–57, and was so named by the UK ...

                                               

Lobodon Island

Lobodon Island is an island lying 6 kilometres east of Wauters Point, Two Hummock Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was photographed by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition in December 1956, and was named ...

                                               

Lockley Point

Lockley Point is a low, ice-covered point lying 1 nautical mile northeast of Noble Peak on the northwest side of Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Gerlache in 1898. ...

                                               

Loudwater Cove

Loudwater Cove is a small west-facing cove, 0.5 nautical miles long, lying immediately north of Norsel Point along the southwest coast of Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was surveyed in 1955 by the Falkland Islands Depend ...

                                               

Lyon Peak

Lyon Peak is a peak rising to about 1.000 metres south of Milburn Bay on the west side of Trinity Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was photographed by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition, 1956, and mapp ...

                                               

McGuire Island (Antarctica)

McGuire Island is an island in the northeast portion of the Joubin Islands, Antarctica. It was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Thomas J. McGuire, an oiler in RV Hero in her first voyage to Antarctica and Palmer Station in 1968.

                                               

Maipo Island

Maipo Island is a low, snow-covered island lying at the entrance to Buls Bay in eastern Brabant Island, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The island was first roughly charted by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99. The name appears on ...

                                               

Manoury Island

Manoury Island is an island lying 3 kilometres south of Gand Island at the north end of Schollaert Channel, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It was discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Jean-Baptiste Charcot f ...

                                               

Melanita Island

Melanita Island is the 780 m long in southwest-northeast direction and 400 m wide rocky island lying off Spert Island on the southwest side of Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It is" named after the ocean fishing trawler Mela ...