Blog page 290




                                               

Alpha Island

Alpha Island, also known as Isla Huidobro, is a small island lying between Epsilon Island and Delta Island in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. Charted by Discovery Investigations in 1927 and named after the first letter of the Greek alph ...

                                               

Andersen Harbor

Andersen Harbor is a small bay in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica, formed by the concave west side of Eta Island and the north end of Omega Island. It was charted by Discovery Investigations in 1927 and probably named after K ...

                                               

Angot Point

Angot Point is a headland which marks the south tip of Hoseason Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was named by the French Antarctic Expedition under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, 1903–05, for Alfred Angot, Assistant Director of the French Meteorolog ...

                                               

Astrolabe Needle

Astrolabe Needle is a conspicuous monolith rising 50 metres above sea level south of Claude Point, Brabant Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was discovered by the 1903–1905 French Antarctic Expedition under Jean-Baptiste Charcot and named aft ...

                                               

Austin Rocks

The Austin Rocks are a group of rocks which extend about 6 kilometres in a northeast–southwest, lying in Bransfield Strait 24 kilometres northwest of Trinity Island. Charted by a British expedition, 1828–31, under Commander Henry Foster, Royal Na ...

                                               

Babel Rock

Babel Rock is the northernmost of a small group of rocks lying north of Intercurrence Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. Two of the rocks lying off the north end of Intercurrence Island were first charted and named Penguin Islands by James Hoseas ...

                                               

Mount Banck

Mount Banck is a conspicuous mountain of red rock, 675 m, dominating the small peninsula just west of Mascias Cove, on the west coast of Graham Land. In 1898 the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Gerlache applied the name "Ile Banck" to a featur ...

                                               

Baupres Rocks

Baupres Rocks are two rocks lying in the middle of the southern entrance to Peltier Channel, in the Palmer Archipelago. First charted by the French Antarctic Expedition under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, 1903–05, the descriptive name Rocas Baupres was ...

                                               

Beaumont Skerries

The Beaumont Skerries are two small islands and several rocks 2 kilometres east of the Joubin Islands, off the southwest coast of Anvers Island. They were named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Malcolm J. Beaumont, an Electronics ...

                                               

Mount Beddie

Mount Beddie is a rounded, snow-covered mountain rising to 435 m on Hulot Peninsula in the southwest end of Brabant Island, Palmer Archipelago. The mountain was charted and named by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, led by Jean-Baptiste C ...

                                               

Bernard Rocks

Bernard Rocks is a small group of rocks between Davis Island and Spallanzani Point, off the northeast side of Brabant Island in the Palmer Archipelago. They were first mapped by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charco ...

                                               

Besnard Point

Besnard Point is a headland which lies at the southeast side of Port Lockroy, Wiencke Island, and marks the east side of the entrance to Alice Creek, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under ...

                                               

Beta Island

Beta Island is a small island which lies immediately north of Kappa Island and close southwest of Alpha Island in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. The name, derived from the second letter of the Greek alphabet, was probably given by Disc ...

                                               

Bielecki Island

Bielecki Island is an island 1 kilometre north of Trundy Island in the western part of the Joubin Islands. It was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Johannes N. Bielecki, an Assistant Engineer in RV Hero on her first Antarctic ...

                                               

Billie Peak

Billie Peak is a peak, 725 metres high, which rises 1.5 nautical miles east-northeast of Bay Point on the southeast coast of Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Gerlache. ...

                                               

Bills Island

Bills Island is an island in Antarctica. It lies northeast of Goudier Island in the harbor of Port Lockroy, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was discovered and charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot. The nam ...

                                               

Bills Point

Bills Point is a headland marking the south extremity of Delta Island in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. The name was probably given by DI personnel who roughly charted Delta Island in 1927. The feature was surveyed by Argentine expedit ...

                                               

Black Head (Graham Land)

Black Head is a dark headland marking the south side of the entrance to Holtedahl Bay, on the west coast of Graham Land. It was first mapped and given this descriptive name by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill, 1934–37.

                                               

Bob Island

Bob Island is a rocky island 1 nautical mile long and 145 metres high, lying 4 nautical miles southeast of Cape Errera, on Wiencke Island in the Palmer Archipelago. An island in this vicinity was surveyed and photographed by the Belgian Antarctic ...

                                               

Boogie Island

Boogie Island is a small, low-lying island in the entrance to Port Lockroy, about 550 meters west of Goudier Island, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago. It was roughly charted by Jean-Baptiste Charcot in 1904, and surveyed and originally named by ...

                                               

Bouquet Bay

Bouquet Bay is a bay, 7 miles wide, lying between Liege Island and the N part of Brabant Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. Discovered by the FrAE, 1903–05, and named by Charcot for Jean Bouquet de la Grye, French hydrographic engineer and a memb ...

                                               

Breaker Island

Breaker Island is a small rocky island lying in Arthur Harbour close south-west of Norsel Point, off the south-west coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago of Antarctica. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 195 ...

                                               

Breakwater Island

Breakwater Island is a small island in the Palmer Archipelago with a line of rocks extending in a southwest arc from it, lying opposite Nipple Peak, 0.3 nautical miles off the east side of Wiencke Island. The descriptive name, suggestive of an ar ...

                                               

Bremen Island

Bremen Island is a 1 km 2 or 100 ha uninhabited island, part of the Melchior Islands in the Southern Ocean along the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. A 1 km 0.62 mi long channel Bremenkanal separates Omega Island and Bremen Island. The exis ...

                                               

Breste Cove

Breste Cove is the 700 m wide cove indenting for 850 m the east coast of Tower Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica situated south of Harmanli Cove. Entered north of Castillo Point and south of Cape Dumoutier. The cove is named after the ...

                                               

Bryde Island (Antarctica)

Bryde Island is an island 10 km long and 5 km wide, lying immediately south-west of Lemaire Island, off the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Adrien de Gerlache, 1897–99, and named ...

                                               

Buache Peak

Buache Peak is the mostly ice-covered peak rising to 595 m on Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It surmounts Urania Cove on the north. The feature has precipitous and partly ice-free west-northwest slopes, and is one of th ...

                                               

Buff Island (Antarctica)

Buff Island is an island which lies 3 nautical miles southwest of the Joubin Islands and 10.5 nautical miles southwest of Cape Monaco, Anvers Island, at the southwest end of the Palmer Archipelago. The island appears to be first shown and named o ...

                                               

Buls Bay

Buls Bay is a bay 2 nautical miles wide, which indents the east side of Brabant Island just north of DUrsel Point, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Gerlache, 1897–99, and named by him for Char ...

                                               

Butrointsi Point

Butrointsi Point is the ice-free tipped point on the southeast side of the entrance to Kotev Cove on the northeast coast of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The point is named after the settlement of Butrointsi in Western ...

                                               

Casabianca Island

Casabianca Island is a low, rocky island lying in Neumayer Channel 1 kilometre northeast of Damoy Point, Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, 1903–05, who nam ...

                                               

Casey Islands

The Casey Islands are a group of small islands in the west part of Wylie Bay, south of Cape Monaco, Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. Fringing islands in this position were charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, led by Jean- ...

                                               

Cassandra Nunatak

Cassandra Nunatak is a nunatak, 425 metres high, marking the east side of the mouth of Iliad Glacier in northern Anvers Island, Palmer Archipelago. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1955–57, and mapped from photos tak ...

                                               

Catodon Rocks

Catodon Rocks are a small group of rocks just northeast of Ohlin Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. They were photographed by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition in 1955–57 and mapped from these photos. They were named ...

                                               

Cetacea Rocks

Cetacea Rocks are a small group of rocks off the northeast side of Hoseason Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. They were charted by the French Antarctic Expedition under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, 1908–10, and named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Co ...

                                               

Chance Rock

Chance Rock is an isolated rock, which is awash, lying in the center of Gerlache Strait near its junction with Orleans Strait, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was shown on an Argentine government chart of 1957, and so named by the UK Antarctic Plac ...

                                               

Chanticleer Island

Chanticleer Island is a nearly snow-free island, 1 nautical mile long, lying off the northwest end of Hoseason Island in the Palmer Archipelago. The island was named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1960 after HMS Chanticleer, whose p ...

                                               

Chata Rock

Chata Rock is a low isolated rock over which the sea breaks heavily constantly, lying 0.5 nautical miles south of Cape Lancaster, the southern end of Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. The name appears on an Argentine government chart of 1 ...

                                               

Chayka Passage

Chayka Passage is the 1 km long in south-north direction and 110 m wide passage between Spert Island and the southwest coast of Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. Its south entrance is situated just west of Bulnes Point. The ve ...

                                               

Chionis Island

Chionis Island is an island lying south of Awl Point, Trinity Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. The name Snow Island was used for this feature by whalers in the area in the 1920s, but has not been used on any published map. Since Snow Island in ...

                                               

Christiania Islands

The Christiania Islands are a group of islands and rocks between Liege Island and Trinity Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. They were charted by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Gerlache, who named the group for Christiania, Norw ...

                                               

Christine Island

Christine Island is an island 0.9 km long which lies 1.9 km off the south coast of Anvers Island and 2.8 km southeast of Bonaparte Point. The name of Christine Island was proposed by the United States Antarctic Research Program biologist Dietland ...

                                               

Clifford Peak

Clifford Peak is a peak, 1.160 metres high, at the northeast end of the Osterrieth Range, Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. It was probably first seen by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Gerlache. The peak was named by mem ...

                                               

Cobalescou Island

Cobalescou Island or Cobalcescu Island is a small snow-free island with two rounded summits, lying 1.2 kilometres east-southeast of Veyka Point, the south extremity of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The island was disco ...

                                               

Cape Cockburn

Cape Cockburn is a cape marking the northeastern extremity of Pasteur Peninsula on Brabant Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. The name appears on a chart based upon a British expedition under Henry Foster, 1828–31, who perhaps gave the name for G ...

                                               

Comer Range

The Comer Range is an Antarctican mountain range, 3 nautical miles long, running southwest to northeast and rising to 600 meters to the west of Harbour Glacier in Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago. From south to north the range includes Jabet Pe ...

                                               

Condyle Point

Condyle Point is the southeast point of Tower Island, Palmer Archipelago. It was named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committee. The name is descriptive of the shape of this feature: a condyle being the rounded prominence at the end of a bone.

                                               

Cook Summit

Cook Summit is the highest peak in the Solvay Mountains, Brabant Island, rising to 1.590 metres between Galen Peak and Celsus Peak. It was named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1986 after Dr. Frederick A. Cook, an American polar expl ...

                                               

Copper Col

Copper Col is a col at 305 m, between Copper Peak and Billie Peak in the Osterrieth Range of Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. Probably first seen by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, under Adrien de Gerlache. The name Copper Glacier appe ...

                                               

Copper Peak (Antarctica)

Copper Peak is a peak, 1.125 metres high and vivid green in color, standing 2 nautical miles north-northeast of Billie Peak on the southeast side of Anvers Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. First seen by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Ad ...