Blog page 292




                                               

Stopford Peak

Stopford Peak is a peak, 495 m, on the east side of Hoseason Island and is the highest point on the island, in the Palmer Archipelago. First roughly charted and named Cape Stopford by Henry Foster in 1829 for Admiral Sir Robert Stopford, Commande ...

                                               

Sumer Passage

Sumer Passage is the 970 m wide passage in the Palmer Archipelago between Davis Island on the north and Albena Peninsula, Brabant Island on the south. It connects Bouquet Bay and Gerlache Strait, another connection between the two being Zlogosh P ...

                                               

Surge Rocks

Surge Rocks are a group of five rocks, two always exposed, lying 190 metres southwest of Eichorst Island and 1 kilometre south-southeast of Bonaparte Point, Anvers Island. The name was suggested by Palmer Station personnel in 1972. Ocean swells w ...

                                               

Tau Islands

Tau Islands is a small group of islands and rocks which lie immediately off the northeast extremity of Eta Island in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. The name, derived from the 19th letter of the Greek alphabet, appears to have been firs ...

                                               

Terrada Point

Terrada Point is the northeast entrance point to Buls Bay, Brabant Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. The point was roughly mapped by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99. It was mapped in detail in 1954 by an Argentine Antarctic Expedition ...

                                               

Tetrad Islands

Tetrad Islands is a group of small islands lying southeast of Borge Point at Mikkelsen Harbor on Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago. They were shown on a 1952 Argentine government chart. The name given by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place- ...

                                               

Theta Islands

Theta Islands are several small islands and rocks which lie close west of Kappa Island at the west extremity of the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. The islands were roughly charted by Discovery Investigations personnel in 1927. The name, de ...

                                               

Tombstone Hill (Palmer Archipelago)

Tombstone Hill is a hill which rises to 50 m close east-northeast of Damoy Point, Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archipelago. Discovered and first mapped by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Charcot. The name given by the Falkland Is ...

                                               

Torgersen Island

Torgersen Island is a small rocky island lying just east of Litchfield Island in the entrance to Arthur Harbour, off the south-west coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago of Antarctica. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependenci ...

                                               

Tower Island

Tower Island is an Antarctic island 9 kilometres long and 305 m high. It marks the north-east extent of Palmer Archipelago. It lies 37 kilometres north-east of Trinity Island, separated by Gilbert Strait. Both islands are separated from the Davis ...

                                               

Tripod Island

Tripod Island is a small island which lies close south of the west extremity of Eta Island and marks the north side of the western entrance to Andersen Harbor in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. The name was probably given by DI personne ...

                                               

Trivelpiece Island

Trivelpiece Island is an island in Wylie Bay, located northeast of Halfway Island. Named for Wayne Z. and Susan Green Trivelpiece, who studied seabird ecology in the Antarctic Peninsula area for over twenty years.

                                               

Trundy Island

Trundy Island is an island 0.4 nautical miles west-northwest of Robbins Island in the west part of Joubin Islands. Named by Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for George B. Trundy, Able Seaman in the R.V. Hero in her first voyage to Antarctica ...

                                               

Tukey Island

Tukey Island is an island near the center of the Joubin Islands. Named by Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Claude C. Tukey, Messman in R.V. Hero on her first voyage to Antarctica and nearby Palmer Station in 1968.

                                               

Two Hummock Island

Two Hummock Island is an ice-covered island, 9.4 kilometres long in a north-south direction, conspicuous for its two rocky summits Buache Peak and Modev Peak 670 metres high, lying 9.6 kilometres southeast of Liege Island and 11.5 kilometres east ...

                                               

Urchin Rock

Urchin Rock is a rock, over which the sea breaks, lying 2.3 nautical miles west of the largest of the Berthelot Islands, off the west coast of Graham Land. First shown on an Argentine government chart of 1957. So named by the United Kingdom Antar ...

                                               

Ustina Point

Ustina Point is a rocky point on the west coast of Tower Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica situated 2.6 km northwest of Peña Point, the south extremity of the island, and 3.5 km south of Kranevo Point. Point is called after the settlem ...

                                               

Vazquez Island

Vazquez Island is an island lying between Fridtjof and Bob islands, off the southeast side of Wiencke Island in the Palmer Archipelago. It was first charted by the French Antarctic Expedition under J.B. Charcot, 1903–05. The name appears on an Ar ...

                                               

Veles Bastion

Veles Bastion is the ice-covered buttress of elevation 1200 m forming the southwest extremity of Stribog Mountains on Brabant Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It has steep and partly ice-free north, west and southwest slopes, and sur ...

                                               

Veyka Point

Veyka Point is the ice-free tipped point on the east side of the entrance to Lesura Cove forming the south extremity of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The minor Cobalcescu Island is lying 1.2 km east-southeast of the po ...

                                               

Wall Range

Wall Range is a mountain range, 3 nautical miles long in a NE-SW direction with steep wall-like cliffs and jagged peaks rising to 1.095 metres, extending from Thunder Glacier to Channel Glacier in the center of Wiencke Island, in the Palmer Archi ...

                                               

Walsham Rocks

Walsham Rocks is a group of rocks lying 1 nautical mile east of Buff island, at the southwest end of the Palmer Archipelago, off the coast of Antarctica. The rocks were surveyed by the British Naval Hydrographic Survey Unit in 1956-57 and named b ...

                                               

Wauters Point

Wauters Point is an ice-covered point forming the north end of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago. Charted by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Gerlache, and named by him for Alphonse Wauters, a supporter of the expeditio ...

                                               

West Melchior Islands

West Melchior Islands is a group of small ice-covered islands and rocks which lie west of The Sound in the Melchior Islands, Palmer Archipelago. The islands east of The Sound are called East Melchior Islands. The name was probably given by DI per ...

                                               

Mount Wheat

Mount Wheat is a prominent mountain) forming the highest point in Wall Range, rising immediately north of Thunder Glacier in the center of Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago. Probably first observed by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition which circu ...

                                               

Woogie Island

Woogie Island is a small low-lying island in the entrance to Port Lockroy, about 330 meters northwest of Goudier Island, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago. It was roughly charted by Jean-Baptiste Charcot in 1904, and surveyed and originally name ...

                                               

Zigzag Island

Zigzag Island is a small island close off the south coast of Tower Island, Palmer Archipelago. The name applied by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee is descriptive of the island in plan; it is deeply indented, with steep cliff faces.

                                               

Zikoniya Island

Zikoniya Island is the 140 m long in west–east direction and 120 m wide rocky island lying off Spert Island on the southwest side of Trinity Island in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. It is" named after the ocean fishing trawler Zikoniya of th ...

                                               

Abel Nunatak

Abel Nunatak is the easternmost of two isolated nunataks on the south side of Broad Valley, Trinity Peninsula. It is a volcanic feature and an inferred vent of the James Ross Island Volcanic Group. The name arose at the time of the Falkland Islan ...

                                               

Abrit Nunatak

Abrit Nunatak is the rocky hill rising to over 400 m east of Laclavere Plateau on Trinity Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica. It is overlooking Mott Snowfield to the north and Retizhe Cove to the southeast. The nunatak is named after the settle ...

                                               

Acuña Rocks

The Acuña Rocks, also known as Islote Acuña, are a pair of rocks lying 0.4 miles west of Largo Island in the Duroch Islands, off Cape Legoupil, Trinity Peninsula. They were named by the Chilean Antarctic Expedition, 1947–48, after Sub-Teniente Ac ...

                                               

Agurto Rock

Agurto Rock, also variously known as Islote Agurto, Isla Elena Cerda de Bulnes or Isla Elena, is a rock lying just northwest of Silvia Rock in the Duroch Islands, Trinity Peninsula. The name appears on a Chilean government chart of 1959. This art ...

                                               

Aldomir Ridge

Aldomir Ridge is the mostly ice-free ridge on southern Trinity Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica, bounded by Sjogren Glacier to the west and Boydell Glacier to the east. It extends 14 km between Detroit Plateau to the north-northwest and Sjogr ...

                                               

Alectoria Island

Alectoria Island is a low, nearly ice-free island less than 2 kilometres long. It lies in Prince Gustav Channel, about 1 kilometre off the terminus of Aitkenhead Glacier, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctica. It was surveyed in 1945 by the Falkland Isla ...

                                               

Allen Knoll

Allen Knoll is a steep-sided snow dome rising from a flat snowfield 2 nautical miles northwest of the head of Russell West Glacier, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctica. It was mapped from surveys by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey and named by ...

                                               

Almond Point

Almond Point is a rocky point between Whitecloud Glacier and McNeile Glacier at the head of Charcot Bay, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctica. Charted in 1948 by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey who applied the name because of the distinctive sh ...

                                               

Ami Boue Peak

Ami Boue Peak is the peak rising to 1101 m in the north extremity of Laclavere Plateau on Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula. The feature is named after the German-French-Austrian explorer of the Balkans Ami Boue.

                                               

Andersson Nunatak

Andersson Nunatak is a nunatak 1 nautical mile west of Sheppard Point, standing above the coastal ice cliffs on the north shore of Hope Bay, at the northeast end of the Antarctic Peninsula. It was discovered by Johan Gunnar Anderssons party of th ...

                                               

Antonov Peak

Antonov Peak is the peak rising to over 1300 m in the northwest part of Trakiya Heights on Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula. Situated 4.45 km east of Mount Schuyler, 4.25 km southeast of Sirius Knoll, 4.9 km west by north of Mount Daimler, ...

                                               

Aripleri Passage

Aripleri Passage is the 1.77 km wide passage between Eagle Island and Yatrus Promontory on the south coast of Trinity Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica. The passage is named after the medieval fortress of Aripleri in Southeastern Bulgaria.

                                               

Astrolabe Island

Astrolabe Island, located at 63°17′S 58°40′W, is an island 5 km long, lying in the Bransfield Strait 23 km northwest of Cape Ducorps, Trinity Peninsula in Antarctica. It was discovered by the French expedition, 1837–40, under Captain Jules Dumont ...

                                               

Aureole Hills

The Aureole Hills are a pair of smooth, conical, ice-covered hills, the higher reaching to 1.080 metres, standing close west of the north end of Detroit Plateau, Trinity Peninsula on Antarctica. The descriptive name was given by the Falkland Isla ...

                                               

Auster Point

Auster Point is a headland midway along the east shore of Charcot Bay, Trinity Peninsula. It was named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committee after the Auster aircraft used by British expeditions in this area.

                                               

Azimuth Hill

Azimuth Hill is a low rocky outcrop, 85 metres high, which extends to Prince Gustav Channel just south of the mouth of Russell East Glacier, Trinity Peninsula. So named by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey following a 1946 survey because a ...

                                               

Bahamonde Point

Bahamonde Point is a headland which marks the western extremity of the Schmidt Peninsula on Trinity Peninsula. The point was charted by the Chilean Antarctic Expedition and named for First Lieutenant Arturo Bahamonde Calderon, engineer of the exp ...

                                               

Bald Head

Bald Head is a bare, ice-free headland on Yatrus Promontory situated 8 nautical miles southwest of View Point on the south side of Trinity Peninsula on the Antarctic Peninsula in Antarctica. It was probably first seen in 1902–03 by J. Gunnar Ande ...

                                               

Baley Nunatak

Baley Nunatak is the rocky hill rising to 495 m in the southeast foothills of Mancho Buttress on the north side of Aitkenhead Glacier, on Trinity Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica. The nunatak is named after the settlement of Baley in Northwes ...

                                               

Bardarevo Hill

Bardarevo Hill is the ice-covered hill rising to 660 m in the north part of Marescot Ridge on Trinity Peninsula in Graham Land, Antarctica. The hill is named after the settlements of Bardarevo in Northeastern Bulgaria.

                                               

Barrios Rocks

The Barrios Rocks are a small group of rocks lying 1 nautical mile west of Toro Point, Trinity Peninsula. The name "Islote Barrios" was given by the First Chilean Antarctic Expedition after General Guillermo Barrios Tirado, minister of national d ...

                                               

Beak Island

Beak Island is an arc-shaped island, 7 kilometres long and 360 metres high, lying 1 kilometre northeast of Eagle Island in the northeast part of Prince Gustav Channel. It was probably first seen in 1902–03 by members of the Swedish Antarctic Expe ...