Blog page 296




                                               

Mazzeo Island

Mazzeo Island is an island 0.5 nautical miles west-northwest of Quintana Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago, Antarctica. It was named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committee for Lieutenant Peter Mazzeo, second survey officer on HMS Endurance wor ...

                                               

Meek Channel

The Meek Channel is a strait separating Galindez Island from Grotto Island and Corner Island in the Argentine Islands, Wilhelm Archipelago, Antarctica. It was charted in 1935 by the British Graham Land Expedition under John Rymill, and named for ...

                                               

Myriad Islands

Myriad Islands is a scattered group of small islands and rocks extending for about 5 nautical miles, lying west of the Dannebrog and Vedel Islands in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill, 1934–37. So ...

                                               

Nicholl Head

Nicholl Head is a bold west extremity of the ridge separating Dogs Leg Fjord and Square Bay, on the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica. First surveyed in 1936 by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill. Resurveyed in 1948 by the Falkla ...

                                               

Nimrod Passage

Nimrod Passage is a marine passage leading to the northern end of Lemaire Channel between Wauwermans Islands and Dannebrog Islands in Wilhelm Archipelago in Antarctica. The passage was surveyed by the Royal Navy Hydrographic Survey Unit in March– ...

                                               

Nob Island (Antarctica)

Nob Island is the largest of the Anagram Islands, lying on the south side of French Passage in the Wilhelm Archipelago. So named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1961 because there is a black knob of rock, almost permanent ...

                                               

Paumelle Point

Paumelle Point is a point marking the south side of the entrance to Libois Bay and the northwest end of the peninsula that forms the west extremity of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago, Antarctica. First charted by the French Antarctic Exp ...

                                               

Penola Strait

Penola Strait is a strait 11 nautical miles long and averaging 2 nautical miles wide, separating the Argentine Islands, Petermann Island and Hovgaard Island from the west coast of Graham Land. Traversed by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under G ...

                                               

Phelps Rock

Phelps Rock is an insular rock rising 10 m above sea level southwest of Hugo Island, in the west approaches to French Passage, Wilhelm Archipelago. The rock was charted by a Royal Navy Hydrographic Survey Unit from HMS Protector, 1966–67. Named b ...

                                               

Pleneau Island

Pleneau Island is an island, 0.8 nautical miles long, lying just northeast of Hovgaard Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted as a peninsula of Hovgaard Island by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under J.B. Charcot, who named its nor ...

                                               

Port Circumcision

Port Circumcision is a cove indenting the southeast side of Petermann Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered on January 1, 1909 by the French Antarctic Expedition under Charcot, who named it for the holy day on which it was first sighted. ...

                                               

Poste Point

Poste Point is a point on the west side of Booth Island, which marks the south limit of Salpetrere Bay, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. First charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Charcot for L. Poste, stoker on the ship F ...

                                               

Prioress Island

Prioress Island is a narrow island lying 0.5 nautical miles east of Host Island in the Wauwermans Islands, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Shown on an Argentine government chart of 1954. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in ...

                                               

Quintana Island

Quintana Island is a small isolated island, lying 10 km northeast of Betbeder Islands in the southwest part of the Wilhelm Archipelago. It was first charted as a group of islands by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Charcot f ...

                                               

Rallier Island

Rallier Island is a small island with a small islet off its north side, lying 0.25 nautical miles west of the northwest extremity of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition under Charcot, 1903–05, a ...

                                               

Reeve Island

Reeve Island is an island 1.5 nautical miles long, lying between Knight and Friar islands in the Wauwermans Islands, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Shown on an Argentine government chart of 1950. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Com ...

                                               

Roca Islands

Roca Islands is a group of small islands between Cruls Islands and Anagram Islands on the south side of French Passage in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Charcot for Julio A. Roca, Pre ...

                                               

Roland Bay

Roland Bay is a cove, the south shore of which is Herveou Point, indenting the west end of the peninsula that forms the west extremity of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago, off the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. Jean-Baptiste Charc ...

                                               

Rouch Point

Rouch Point is a point forming the northwest end of Petermann Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1908–10, and named by Charcot for Jules Rouch, sub-lieutenant of the meteorology, atmospheric electricit ...

                                               

Rozo Point

Rozo Point is a point marking the northwest end of Cholet Island, which lies close north of the northwest part of Booth Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Charcot for M. Rozo, t ...

                                               

Runciman Rock

Runciman Rock is a rock marked by breakers, lying 0.1 nautical miles east of Black Island at the southeast approach to Black Island Channel in the Argentine Islands. Charted in 1935 by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill, who named it ...

                                               

Salpêtriere Bay

Salpêtriere Bay is a bay, 1 nautical mile wide, between Herveou Point and Poste Point along the west side of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. First charted by the French Antarctic Expedition under Dr. Jean-Baptiste Charcot, 1903–05, and ...

                                               

Shelter Islands

Shelter Islands is a group of small islands lying 0.5 km west of Winter Island in the Argentine Islands, Wilhelm Archipelago. They were charted and named by the British Graham Land Expedition, 1934–37, under the leadership of John Rymill.

                                               

Sinclair Island (Antarctica)

Sinclair Island is an island over 1.9 kilometres long, lying 2.8 kilometres northeast of Reeve Island in the Wauwermans Islands, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. First mapped by the Argentines in 1950. The toponym replaces the provisional name "Albert ...

                                               

Skua Creek

Skua Creek is a narrow channel between Skua Island and Winter Island in the Argentine Islands, Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted and named Skua Inlet in 1935 by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill, but in recent years the name Skua Creek h ...

                                               

Skua Island (Antarctica)

Skua Island is a roughly triangular island 1.3 kilometres long, lying between Black Island to the southwest and Winter Island and Galindez Island to the north and northeast, in the Argentine Islands, Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted and named in 1935 ...

                                               

Smooth Island (Antarctica)

Smooth Island is the northeasternmost of the Forge Islands, Argentine Islands, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. The name, given by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1961, is descriptive of the smooth, ice-free surface of this islan ...

                                               

Snag Rocks

Snag Rocks, also known as Rocas Bravo, is a cluster of rocks off the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. This cluster of rocks lies mid-channel in the French Passage between the Roca Islands and the Myriad Islands, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. ...

                                               

Sogen Island

Sogen Island is an island forming the east side of Francais Cove, lying in the southwest extremity of Port Charcot, which indents the north part of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, ...

                                               

Somerville Island

Somerville Island is a small island 7.4 kilometres southwest of Berthelot Islands and 4.6 kilometres northwest of Darboux Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago, off the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula in Antarctica. Discovered by the French An ...

                                               

Sooty Rock

Sooty Rock is a rock midway between Lumus Rock and Betheder Islands in Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered and named "Black Reef" by the British Graham Land Expedition, 1934–37. Resighted from HMS Endurance in February 1969 and described as a rock ab ...

                                               

Spirtle Rock

Spirtle Rock is a rock awash in the navigable passage between The Barchans and Anagram Islands, in the Argentine Islands. The descriptive name was recommended by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1971. "Spirtle" means "to cause to ...

                                               

Splitwind Island

Splitwind Island is an island 0.5 kilometres long, lying off the north end of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, and named by Charcot for Alphonse de Rothschild. To avoid confusion with ...

                                               

Squire Island

Squire Island is a small island lying immediately northeast of Friar Island in the Wauwermans Islands, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Shown on an Argentine government chart of 1950. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1958 ...

                                               

Stark Rock

Stark Rock is a conspicuous rock lying 2 nautical miles south of Crulls Islands, in the Wilheim Archipelago. Mapped by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey from photos taken by Hunting Aerosurveys Ltd. in 1956–57. The name, given by the Unite ...

                                               

Stella Creek

Stella Creek is a narrow winding passage extending from Thumb Rock to the southeast end of Winter Island and lying between Winter Island and Galindez Island in the Argentine Islands, Wilheim Archipela. Charted in 1935 by the British Graham Land E ...

                                               

Stray Islands

Stray Islands is a scattered but distinct group of islands lying 3.7 kilometres west of Petermann Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago off the Antarctic Peninsula. Mapped by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey from photos taken by Hunting Aero ...

                                               

Thiebault Island

Thiebault Island is a small island which lies next west of Charlat Island in the small group off the south end of Petermann Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago. It was discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition of 1908–10, and named by Jean-Bapt ...

                                               

Three Little Pigs (islands)

Three Little Pigs is a chain of three small islands 0.56 kilometres northwest of Winter Island in the Argentine Islands, Wilhelm Archipelago. The chain was charted and named in 1935 by the British Graham Land Expedition under John Riddoch Rymill.

                                               

Thumb Rock

Thumb Rock is a rock lying between Winter Island and the northwest end of Galindez Island in the Argentine Islands, Wilhelm Archipelago. Charted and named in 1935 by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill. This article incorporates publi ...

                                               

Turquet Point

Turquet Point is a point marking the north extremity of Booth Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Probably first seen by the German expedition 1873–74, under Dallmann. The point was charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Charco ...

                                               

Vanssay Point

Vanssay Point is the extremity of a small peninsula which extends north into the west portion of Port Charcot, Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago. It was discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Charcot, and named by hi ...

                                               

Vedel Islands

Vedel Islands is a group of small islands lying 3.7 kilometres west of Hovgaard Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago. The largest island of this group was discovered in 1898 and given the name Vedel by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Gerlache ...

                                               

Wauwermans Islands

Wauwermans Islands is a group of small, low, snow-covered islands forming the northernmost group in the Wilhelm Archipelago. Discovered by a German expedition 1873–74, under Dallmann. Sighted by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99, under Ge ...

                                               

Wednesday Island

Wednesday Island is an island 1 nautical mile long, at the east end of Wauwermans Islands in the north part of Wilhelm Archipelago, Antarctica. The Wauwermans Islands were discovered by the German expedition under Eduard Dallmann, 1873–74, and we ...

                                               

Whiting Rocks

Whiting Rocks is a three rocks lying 0.5 nautical miles south of The Barchans, Argentine Islands, off the coast of Graham Land. Named by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee for Colin S. Whiting, survey assistant of the Hydrographic Sur ...

                                               

Wilhelm Archipelago

The Wilhelm Archipelago is an island archipelago off the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula in Antarctica. Wilhelm Archipelago consists of numerous islands, the largest of which are Booth Island and Hovgaard Island. The archipelago extends fro ...

                                               

Woozle Hill

Woozle Hill is a hill near the center of Galindez Island, in the Argentine Islands in the Wilhelm Archipelago. First charted by the British Graham Land Expedition under Rymill, 1934–37. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee ...

                                               

Yalour Islands

Yalour Islands, also known as the Jalour Islands, is a group of islands and rocks 2.8 kilometres in extent in the south part of the Wilhelm Archipelago. The group lies 1.9 kilometres northwest of Cape Tuxen, Graham Land. Discovered and named by t ...

                                               

Ablation Lake

Ablation Lake is a proglacial tidal lake in Ablation Valley, Alexander Island, Antarctica, with stratified saline and fresh water and depths exceeding 117 m. The feature is dammed in the upper portion by ice that pushes into the lake from the adj ...