Blog page 312




                                               

Flowerpot Bay

Flowerpot Bay, also spelt Flower Pot Bay, is a small bay, some 250 m across, on the north coast of Pitt Island in the Chatham Islands group of New Zealand. With a jetty at its western end, it is the main point of access by sea to the island. The ...

                                               

Folly Island, New Zealand

The island is part of the Campbell Island group Important Bird Area IBA, identified as such by BirdLife International because of its significance as a breeding site for several species of seabirds as well as the endemic Campbell teal and Campbell ...

                                               

Cape Freeman (Balleny Islands)

Cape Freeman is a cape forming the north end of Sturge Island in the Balleny Islands. It was named for H. Freeman, commander of the cutter Sabrina, which sailed with the schooner Eliza Scott, resulting in the discovery of the Balleny Islands in 1839.

                                               

Mount Galloway

Mount Galloway is the highest point on Antipodes Island, one of New Zealands outlying islands. It rises to a height on 366 metres. It is part of the most recently active volcano in the group, but there is no exact eruption date known. Mount Gallo ...

                                               

Green Lake (Raoul Island)

Green Lake is one of two tiny crater lakes on Raoul Island in the Kermadec Islands, the other being Blue Lake. It covers an area of about 0.15 km². It erupted on 17 March 2006, killing Department of Conservation worker Mark Kearney, who was there ...

                                               

Hanson Bay

Hanson Bay is a large bay which comprises almost the entire east coast of Chatham Island, the largest island in New Zealands Chatham Islands archipelago. It is 35 kilometres in extent, stretching from Okawa Point in the islands northeast to Manuk ...

                                               

Lake Huro

Lake Huro is located in the Chatham Islands of New Zealand. It is located on Chatham Island to the southwest of Te Whanga Lagoon, close to the settlement of Waitangi.

                                               

LEsperance Rock

LEsperance Rock, formerly known as French Rock and Brind Rock, is the southernmost islet in the Kermadec Islands, to the north of New Zealand. It is 80 km south of Curtis Island and 600 km northeast of East Cape on New Zealands North Island. The ...

                                               

List of inlets of the Auckland Islands

The Auckland Islands, in New Zealands subantarctic islands, are a volcanic archipelago. The main island, Auckland Island, is heavily indented with a series of inlets, especially on its east coast. The most prominent inlet is Carnley Harbour, whic ...

                                               

Little Mangere Island

Little Mangere is a small island of the Chatham Archipelago, just off the western end of Mangere Island, about 4 km west of Pitt Island and 45 kilometres south-east of the town of Waitangi on Chatham Island. The island is called Tapuaenuku in Mor ...

                                               

Mount DUrville

Mount DUrville is the highest point on Auckland Island, one of New Zealands subantarctic outlying islands, and is named after French explorer Jules Dumont dUrville. It rises to a height of 630 m. It stands in the southeast of the main island, ove ...

                                               

Mount Dick

Mount Dick is a 705-metre peak on Adams Island, the second-largest of New Zealands Auckland Island chain. It is the highest point in the Auckland Islands. Mount Dick is on the rim of an extinct volcano, the crater of which now forms Carnley Harbo ...

                                               

Mount Dumas

Mount Dumas is a mountain on Campbell Island, the main island of the Campbell Island group of subantarctic islands, belonging to New Zealand. Campbell Island is an ancient volcano, with steep coastal cliffs that expose some of the lava flows. Mou ...

                                               

Mount Fizeau

Mount Fizeau is located on New Zealands subantarctic Campbell Island. It was named by members of the 1874 French astronomical expedition to view the Transit of Venus, which set up on the island at Venus Bay. Mount Fizeau rises to a height of 497 ...

                                               

Mount Honey

Mount Honey is the highest point on Campbell Island, the southernmost of New Zealands subantarctic outlying islands. It is located to the south of Perseverance Harbour, a long lateral fissure which reaches the ocean in the islands southeast, and ...

                                               

Nairn River

The Nairn River, also known as the Mangatukurewa Creek is a river in the Chatham Islands of New Zealand. Located in the southwest of Chatham Island, it runs north to reach the coast close to the southern end of Petre Bay. The main settlement of t ...

                                               

North East Island, New Zealand

North East Island is the main island of the Snares Island group at 48°01′S 166°36′E approximately 200 kilometres south of New Zealands South Island. The island forms a central triangle with peninsulas to the north, south and to the west and is so ...

                                               

Okawa Point

Okawa Point lies at the north-eastern end of Hanson Bay near the easternmost point of the main Chatham Island in the Chatham Islands group of New Zealand. It has been identified as an Important Bird Area by BirdLife International because it suppo ...

                                               

Owenga

Owenga is a small settlement on Chatham Island, in New Zealands Chatham Islands group. It is the second easternmost settlement in New Zealand, after Flower Pot Bay on Pitt Island. It is located in the southeast of the island, close to Cape Fourni ...

                                               

Perseverance Harbour

Perseverance Harbour, also known as South harbour, is a large indentation in the coast of Campbell Island, one of New Zealands subantarctic outlying islands. The harbour is a long lateral fissure which reaches the ocean in the islands southeast, ...

                                               

Petre Bay

Petre Bay is a large bay which comprises about half of the west coast of Chatham Island, the largest island in New Zealands Chatham Islands archipelago. It is some 20 kilometres in extent, and contains the far smaller Waitangi Bay, where the isla ...

                                               

Pitt Strait

Pitt Strait is a channel, 25 kilometres wide, separating Chatham Island and Pitt Island, the two largest islands in New Zealands Chatham Islands.

                                               

Port Hutt

Port Hutt is a small settlement on Chatham Island, in New Zealands Chatham Islands chain. It is located in the northwest of the island, near the northern end of the large indentation of Petre Bay, some 24km from the islands largest settlement Wai ...

                                               

Port Ross

Port Ross is a natural harbour on Auckland Island in the Auckland Islands Group, a subantarctic chain that forms part of the New Zealand Outlying Islands. Guarding the mouth of Port Ross are Rose Island, Enderby Island, Ewing Island, and the tiny ...

                                               

The Pyramid

The Pyramid is a small island south of Pitt Island in the Chatham Islands group of New Zealand. The site has been identified as an Important Bird Area by BirdLife International because it supports the only known breeding colony of Chatham albatro ...

                                               

Rabbit Island (Chatham Islands)

Rabbit Island is a rocky islet lying off Tarawhenua Point on the north-west coast of Pitt Island in the Chatham Islands group of New Zealand. About 300 m long by 200 m across, its highest point is 44 m above sea level. It has been identified as a ...

                                               

Rangatira Island

Rangatira or South East Island is the third largest island in the Chatham Islands archipelago, and covers an area of 218 hectares. It lies 800 kilometres east of New Zealands South Island off the south-east coast of Pitt Island, 55 kilometres sou ...

                                               

Rangitahi Lake

Rangitahi Lake is located in the Chatham Islands of New Zealand. It is located on Chatham Island, to the northeast of Te Whanga Lagoon, close to the northern end of Hanson Bay.

                                               

Rose Island (New Zealand)

Rose Island is an uninhabited island, and with an area of 121 hectares the fifth largest of the Auckland Islands group, a subantarctic chain that forms part of the New Zealand Outlying Islands. It is located in the northeast of the group, in the ...

                                               

Rosemary Rock

Rosemary Rock is a rugged islet, 170 m long by 40 m across at sea level, rising to about 50 m. It is the smallest of the Princes Chain of the Three Kings archipelago lying 57 km off the north-western tip of New Zealand’s North Island. It is named ...

                                               

Row Island

Row Island is a small island, less than 1 nautical mile in diameter, which lies just off the southeast end of Young Island in the Balleny Islands. John Balleny assigned the name in 1839 to an island which he reported to be 10 nautical miles north ...

                                               

Sabrina Island

Sabrina Island is the largest of three small islets lying 1.5 km south of Buckle Island in the Balleny Islands of Antarctica. Sabrina Island was named after Thomas Freemans cutter when John Ballenys squadron discovered the islands in 1839. A pair ...

                                               

The Sisters (New Zealand)

The Sisters, or Rangitatahi in Maori, is a group of three islands located 16 kilometres north of Cape Pattison, Chatham Island. They are the northernmost members of the Chatham Archipelago, located 800 kilometres east of New Zealands South Island ...

                                               

Star Keys

The Star Keys are group of five rocky islets in the Chatham Archipelago, about 12 kilometres east of Pitt Island They are called Motuhope in Moriori and Māori. The archipelago is part of New Zealand, whose South Island lies 800 kilometres to the ...

                                               

Sturge Island

Sturge Island is one of the three main islands in the uninhabited Balleny Islands group located in the Southern Ocean. It lies 25 kilometres southeast of Buckle Island and 95 kilometres northeast of Belousov Point on the Antarctic mainland. The i ...

                                               

Te Roto

Te Roto is a small settlement on Chatham Island, in New Zealands Chatham Islands group. It is located close to the northern end of Petre Bay, 12 kilometres north of Waitangi. A small lake of the same name is located nearby.

                                               

Te Whanga Lagoon

Te Whanga Lagoon dominates the geography of Chatham Island, in the South Pacific Ocean off New Zealands east coast. It covers 160 square kilometres. It is the outflow of several small rivers in the islands hilly south, and drains to the Pacific v ...

                                               

Tuku Nature Reserve

The Tuku Nature Reserve is a nature reserve on Chatham Island, New Zealand, in the Tuku-a-tamatea River Valley in the south-west of the island. The 1238 hectares of land, largely covered with dense native forest, are owned by the New Zealand gove ...

                                               

Venus Bay (New Zealand)

Venus Bay is located on Perseverance Harbour on New Zealands subantarctic Campbell Island. It was named for an 1874 French astronomical expedition to view the Transit of Venus, which set up camp at the site. As a result of the expedition, many of ...

                                               

Waitangi, Chatham Islands

Waitangi is the main port and settlement on the Chatham Islands. It is located on the southern shore of Petre Bay, on the west coast of the main island. This community is by far the largest settlement in the archipelago, with a population of abou ...

                                               

Western Chain, New Zealand

The Western Chain is a group of islets at 48°03′0″S 166°30′30″E and a part of The Snares. They lie some 5 km to the WSW off the main island North East Island, which lies approx. 200 kilometres south of New Zealands South Island. The Western Chain ...

                                               

Acuña Island

Acuña Island, is a small island which lies 0.4 kilometres south of Point Rae, off the south coast of Laurie Island in the South Orkney Islands. Charted in 1903 by the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition under William Speirs Bruce, who named it ...

                                               

Ailsa Craig (South Orkney Islands)

Ailsa Craig is a precipitous island 1 mile south of Point Rae, off the south coast of Laurie Island in the South Orkney Islands. Charted in 1903 by the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition under William Speirs Bruce, who named it for the island ...

                                               

Aitken Cove

Aitken Cove is a cove which lies immediately northeast of Cape Whitson, along the south coast of Laurie Island in the South Orkney Islands in the Southern Ocean. Charted in 1903 by the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition under William Speirs B ...

                                               

Amos Lake (Antarctica)

Amos Lake is a small lake south of Thulla Point on Signy Island, in the South Orkney Islands. Named by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee after Stephen C. Amos, British Antarctic Survey limnologist on Signy Island, 1972–73.

                                               

Amphibolite Point

Amphibolite Point is a conspicuous, pyramidal point 1.5 nautical miles northwest of Saunders Point on the south coast of Coronation Island, in the South Orkney Islands. It was named by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey following their surv ...

                                               

Cape Anderson

Cape Anderson is a cape which marks the east side of the entrance to Mill Cove on the south coast of Laurie Island, in the South Orkney Islands. Charted in 1903 by the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition under Bruce, who named it for his secre ...

                                               

Andreaea Plateau

Andreaea Plateau is a small plateau with an average elevation of 180 metres, located southwest of Robin Peak, Signy Island, in the South Orkney Islands. The feature is notable for the largest known stand in the Antarctic of the black-brown moss A ...

                                               

Angelov Island

Angelov Island is a rocky island in the Larsen Islands group on the west side of Coronation Island in the South Orkney Islands, Antarctica. It is 700 m long, in the south-north direction, and 530 m wide, with an area of 17 hectares. It is named a ...

                                               

Baldred Rock

Baldred Rock is a rock in Fitchie Bay at Laurie Island in the South Orkney Islands. It lies close off the south side of Ferrier Peninsula, 0.75 nautical miles east-southeast of Graptolite Island. This rock was mapped by the Scottish National Anta ...